FREE PHONE CONSULTATION

Contact us now at 1-888-MoldCare (1-888-665-3227) or (519) 579-Mold (519-579-6653) for a free phone consultation; or click the button to the right to schedule a phone appointment.

FREE CONSULTATION

We Do Mold Proofing And Removal

Mold In House?

SYMPTOMS OF MOLD EXPOSURE

People often mistake the symptoms of mold exposure for other things. They might think they are experiencing seasonal allergies, like hay fever. They might wonder if they are allergic to pet dander. They might think they just have a cold or sinus infection, since mold symptoms resemble those common conditions. Of course, if you realize you have a mold problem in your home, you might suspect your symptoms are related to mold. Many people don’t realize they have a mold problem until they start getting sick, though. That’s because mold often grows in places where it’s hard to spot, like inside walls, inside heating ducts, and under flooring.

COMMON SYMPTOMS OF MOLD EXPOSURE

The most common mold symptoms are similar to symptoms of exposure to other environmental allergens, and include things like:

    • A runny nose
    • Sinus congestion
    • Sneezing
    • Coughing
    • Red, itchy, watery eyes
    • Headaches, migraines
    • Sore throat
    • Shortness of breath
    • Wheezing
    • Feeling of tightness in the chest
    • Asthma attacks. Follow this link to learn more about asthma due to mold

These symptoms may begin within hours of being in a home with mold, depending on how much mold is there and what type of mold is present. Symptoms will usually get worse over time.

Mold can affect your pets as well.

LESS COMMON MOLD SYMPTOMS

Less common symptoms of mold exposure include things like:

    • Respiratory infections, like pneumonia and bronchitis
    • Bleeding in the lungs (pulmonary hemorrhage)
    • Scar tissue in the lungs (caused by long-term exposure to mold)
    • Digestive problems
    • Skin rash or hives
    • Joint pain from mycotoxins
    • Depression
    • Fatigue
    • Memory loss
    • Difficulty concentrating
    • Dental issues
    • Hair loss
    • Hearing loss
    • Vertigo (lightheadedness or dizziness)
    • Heart damage

These mold poisoning symptoms may take some time to develop. People usually experience other allergy-like symptoms first. Some of these problems, like the buildup of scar tissue in the lungs, can cause life-long problems.

If you’re suffering from health problems related to mold exposure, there are two important components of treatment.

First, you need to see your doctor. Let your doctor know if you’ve been exposed to mold and that your symptoms may be related to mold exposure.

Second, you need to have all traces of mold removed from your home. As long as you continue to be exposed to mold, you’ll probably continue to suffer from toxic mold symptoms. In fact, the symptoms will probably get worse as time goes on. Any medical treatment will be of limited effectiveness as long as you continue to be around mold.